09/03/2021 – About the Topic:
After over a year of experimenting and rewriting best practices for virtual education, it’s a great time to reflect on what we have learned over the last year as virtual education went into hyperdrive. How will immersive technology applications use these learnings to improve VRAR & Education? What is the future for education? But right now, what’s just around the corner… What is, The Next Evolution of Education?
Join us November 3rd as educators share their experiences using immersive technologies in Education.
What’s the Format:
6:00-6:15pm – Networking & Preparation
6:15-6:30pm – Introductions & Welcome
6:30-7:30pm – Panel Discussion and Q&A
7:30-8:00pm – Networking
Attending VRAR Chicago Virtual Meetups
We encourage folks to join us in the virtual environment Conference Hall by downloading the Virbela open campus client at virbela.com/download. Otherwise, people can join by watching the scheduled live stream at facebook.com/VRARChicago/live_videos – where we will field questions from! See more about getting started and navigating Virbela below.
The Virbela virtual environment resembles a physical space, so you will be able to talk with other attendees prior to the start of the presentations. We suggest that you arrive no later than 6:00pm and we will get started promptly at 6:15. Please try to get familiar with the technology prior to the day of the meetup, as we will be unable to provide support during the event.
We will start with informal networking, then host a panel discussion to answer audience questions, and we end with more networking. We keep it simple and informal – this meetup is about you, our members, and not just a soap box for the host, presenters, or our sponsors. Come and get your questions answered, take your next step in Immersive Technology.
Getting started in Virbela:
Signing up for Virbela
Virbela is available on mac, windows, rift and vive.
First, you will want to create your account and then download the program onto your computer by going to their registration page. For Rift and Vive, it should be pretty straightforward in their interface.
- You will need to verify your email address
- Create an avatar
- Log into their “open campus”
Once logged in and in the Virbela open campus area, walk around with your arrow keys and then click the Go To menu on top left of the screen. Our program will be in the Conference Hall, so you will need to click that option to join us.
- PC or Mac, Windows 7 SP1+ or newerMac OS X 10.11 or newer
- Headphones and a microphone
- Power cord plugged in for extended use
Entering the Virtual Venue – Conference Hall
- Log into Virbela
- Click Go To menu on top left of your screen
- Select Campus Locations
- Select Conference Hall
VRAR Chicago Virtual Environment Code of Conduct
Open microphones and/or not using headphones can create an echo effect that can negatively affect others’ experiences
- Please use headphones if you can.
- Keep your microphone on push-to-talk (using the number 1 key)
- Act as if this is a space that you are in physically!
- For the Questions and Answers portion
- Click “Raise Hand” on bottom of your screen
- Wait to be called on
- Ask your question
- Press the 1 key and hold it to open your mic
- Ask your question and wait a moment
- Release the 1 key
- Press and hold the 1 button to open your microphone to speak
- Pressing the spacebar unlocks your view or “head” to look around
- You can click someone’s name and click Go To and automatically walk to them
- Your Go To menu lets you raise your hand, wave, or even dance!
- Click the screen menu on top of your screen once in the Conference Hall to select your preferred ‘view’ to enjoy the program.
- You can toggle between these selections during the program