07/08/2020 – About the Topic:
Covid-19 may be forcing us to change the way we meet, but it won’t stop us from bringing you content and industry experience. We will be hosting July’s event in Virtual Reality again. Unfortunately, that means we won’t be able to provide live demonstrations, but for those of you that have a VR headset you get to join us in VR. For those that don’t, you can join us in 2D on your PC or by watching the Facebook Live Stream.
The topic of the month is Law. Last year’s Legal Meetup discussed the wild frontier of AR as Burger King burned up competitor’s ads and AR objects inhabited spaces digitally. Is this just another form of grafitti and vandalism? Is it a legitimate space to play in when serious money is involved? Has the law begun to catch up with these new digital issues? What does it take to start a VR or AR company? How do enterprises address the legal hurdles involved with implementing immersive technology?
Join us in a virtual environment and hear from legal experts about how these problems are being resolved and where they think we are going in the future.
What’s The Format:
6:00-6:15pm – Networking & Preparation
6:15-6:30pm – Introductions & Welcome
6:30-7:45pm – Panel Discussion and Q&A
7:45-8:15pm – Networking
The virtual environments we have been using resemble physical space, so you will be able to talk with other attendees prior to the start of the presentations. If at any point it feels very loud, feel free to move your conversation to another part of the space where there are less people. We suggest that you arrive no later than 6:00pm and we will get started promptly at 6:15. Please try to get familiar with the Virtual Reality technology and environment prior to the MeetUp, as we will be unable to provide support during the event.
We will start with informal networking, then host a panel discussion to answer audience questions, and we end with more networking. We keep it simple and informal – this MeetUp is about you, our members, and not the host or presenters. Come and get your questions answered, take your next step in XR Technology.
VRAR Chicago Virtual Meetups
The VirBELA virtual environment resembles a physical space, so you will be able to talk with other attendees prior to the start of the presentations. We suggest that you arrive no later than 6:00pm and we will get started promptly at 6:15. Please try to get familiar with the technology prior to the day of the meetup, as we will be unable to provide support during the event.
We will start with informal networking, then host a panel discussion to answer audience questions, and we end with more networking. We keep it simple and informal – this meetup is about you, our members, and not just a soap box for the host, presenters, or our sponsors. Come and get your questions answered, take your next step in XR Technology.
Signing up for VirBELA
VirBELA is available on mac, windows, rift and vive.
First, you will want to create your account and then download the program onto your computer by going to their registration page. For Rift and Vive, it should be pretty straightforward in their interface.
- You will need to verify your email address
- Create an avatar
- Log into their “open campus”
Once logged in and in the VirBELA open campus area, walk around with your arrow keys and then click the Go To menu on top left of the screen. Our program will be in the Auditorium, so you will need to click that option to join us.
Entering the Venue – Auditorium
- Log into VirBELA
- Click Go To menu on top left of your screen
- Select Auditorium
Open Networking in VirBELA
You do not need to be in or remain in the Auditorium to connect and network with others, but that is where we will be congregating. The open campus is available to explore.
Although voices will be spatial at times, sound levels can still become overwhelming to some. Anywhere you see glowing or dotted lines on the floor indicates “separate rooms.” When you step inside these areas, you will only hear those who are also in that sectioned off area.
- Don’t leave your friend behind!
- Let those you are talking with to follow you into a quieter grouping of chairs or to a different area of the open campus.
- Dotted or Glowing lines = “separate rooms”
VRAR Chicago Virtual Environment Code of Conduct
- Please use headphones if you can
- If you do not have headphones, please only use your microphone when you are speaking – keeping it muted otherwise
- Not using headphones can often create an echo effect that can negatively affect others’ experiences
- Please use headphones if you can
- Keep your microphone on push-to-talk (pressing the 1 key)
- Open microphones often create an echo effect that can negatively affect other’s experiences
- Remain seated during the program so that you do not impact other guest’s experience or sight lines
- Act as if this is a space that you are in physically!
- Questions and Answers
- Click Go To menu
- Click raise hand
- Wait to be called on
- Asking your question
- Press 1 key to open your mic
- Hold the 1 key while you ask your question and for a second after you are done
- Let go of your 1 key
- Click Go To menu
- Press and hold the 1 button to open your microphone to speak
- Pressing the spacebar unlocks your view or “head” to look around
- You can click someone’s name and click Go To and automatically walk to them
- Your Go To menu lets you raise your hand, wave, or even dance!
- Click the screen menu on top of your screen once in the Auditorium to select your preferred ‘view’ to enjoy the program.
- You can toggle between these selections during the program
- If you join us after the program has begun, when you enter the Auditorium you will automatically be placed in a seat – enjoy!